Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Batman Fanfiction

            (Note: I DO NOT OWN ANY of the characters in this story aside from Krista. All rights go to their respective owners. I do not profit from this—it is merely for entertainment purposes. Thank you.)


Talia wanted Bane all to herself. She did not see in him his strength and intelligence, nor did she see his primal beauty. All she saw was a man to play with, to control.
            Talia and I are very different, for many reasons. She was always father’s favorite, always willing to fight or die for any purpose our father saw fit. She was always an excellent fighter, while I never mastered the art. I instead preferred to spend my days writing and drawing, and reading one of the many thousands of books in our library. Father never minded that, no. Knowledge is power, he would say, ruffle my hair gently, and then continue on. I also never shared Talia and father’s dream of world domination, but as long as I did not interfere they let me be.
            Aside from our inner differences, Talia and I are also very different outside. While she is dark and mysterious, I am pale and somewhat otherworldly. I have pale blonde hair that flows to my waist, and a slender body that is a stark contrast to Talia’s abundant curves. I do not resemble a boy, but in comparison to Talia I might as well be one, for men never look past her to me. I never minded this, not until we met Bane.
            It was on a trip to steal a book for father. While I ordinarily avoid these excursions, I went along in order to make sure the book is genuine and not a fake set up to fool thieves into thinking it is the real thing. Talia does not read the language of the book, but I do, and thus father insisted I go along.
            It was all fine until we ventured into a room with a man floating in his water bed, long past dead. A bound and shaking woman sat in the corner of the room. Talia spotted her immediately and stalked over.
            “Tear the gag off,” she demanded sternly. “She will tell us what happened.” Before the poor woman could utter a word, though, a shirtless man in a mask leaped at us from the shadows, taking out all our men almost immediately. He then stood still, staring at us as if unsure what to do with women. Talia, however, was not unsure.
            “Who are you?” She said, a gun pointed at the strange man. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking because of the mask, but I sensed confusion when his head turned toward me and saw my empty hands.
            “You do not carry a gun?” he inquired. I opened my mouth to speak but Talia beat me to it.
            “She wouldn’t know how to use it if she did. Now answer my question! Who are you and how did you take my men out so easily?”
            “I am Bane, and they fell because they were inadequate.”
            Her gun slowly slid back into the holster. “Well, Bane, I think it’s time you meet our father, Ra’s al Ghul, the Immortal, the Demon. He will be most pleased when he hears of your strength.” Bane straightened out of his defensive stance and followed us to the helicopter. He noticed it was not big enough to hold all the men. I had noticed that as well, but knew better than to point out things such as that to Talia. She had a bit of a temper when it came to me, most likely because father let me do as I pleased, and she had to serve him in order to secure a high position of power when they finally took over the world. I found this plot to be silly, but they would have me killed before the words completely left my mouth. If I had learned to fight as my sister had, I would not be afraid to speak my mind, but many months have passed in my lifetime with little to no progress, a feat my sister deems pathetic.
            When the helicopter landed, father was waiting for us, flanked by dozens of men. I knew they weren’t there as a security precaution—father was a master swordsman, and could easily handle himself in a fight. They were there to intimidate. After all these years, they still frightened me sometimes.
            “And who is this, Talia? I hope you did not invite a worthless stranger into my home. Not many live to see it.”
            “Father,” Talia greeted, suddenly all smiles. “This man is Bane. He took out all our men within a minute, and he did it without breaking a sweat. I thought it would be…beneficial, to introduce you two.” She then backed off and Bane approached father warily.
            “Ah, so you are Bane, the only man to come closer to killing the Batman than I.”
            “Your reputation precedes you as well, Ra’s al Ghul.” Bane smiled then, his mask having been taken off in the helicopter.

            Weeks passed after that. Bane came to live in our palace home, and for some reason he fell in love with Talia. I, too, fell in love, with Bane. Talia called him an animal, claimed he had no grace or intelligence, but I knew better. I knew of his wretched past, of the things he endured in prison. I knew that he had done better than his best at becoming the man he was today, and I respected him for that. Bane knew I respected and honestly liked him, and because of that he spent time talking to me, alone in the library. We were the only two to ever venture in there. Father said his time was worth more than paper, and Talia never did like to read.
            One day, when I was curled up in an armchair reading poetry, father walked in, his expression unreadable. “Krista,” he began, and I closed my book warily.
            “Yes, father?”
            “I am going to have Bane marry Talia, as she is the oldest and the most fit to be his mate.” For a moment I couldn’t speak. My jaw moved but no words came out; all I could do was stare incredulously at him. If I had known Bane was watching behind the many shelves, I would have used discretion when choosing my next words.
            I leapt off the chair, the book flying from my fingers. “Father, no! You know as well as I do how much Talia despises Bane. She tried to have him killed, for goodness’ sake! She does not love him, that is for certain, but I am equally sure that I do!”
            Father scratched his chin thoughtfully. “You say you love Bane? How, he is nothing but a simple-minded animal.”
            “Father, that is where you are wrong. Bane is more than an animal. Yes, he is strong, stronger than you! He managed to do the one thing you couldn’t. He isn’t stupid, he is actually extremely intelligent and thoughtful and kind! He is just hard after all those years in prison. We will never know what he went through. He can tell us all he wants but we will never truly understand, but I want to understand. Talia doesn’t. All she wants is a plaything, a being to control.”
            “Then a plaything is what she shall get. Krista, you have never interfered in my plans before, so don’t begin now. Talia is the most fit to be his mate. They both share a hatred far beyond anything you could ever comprehend. She shares my dream of world domination, as does Bane. Someday you will understand. For now, you may continue wasting away in this filthy library, doodling to your heart’s content.” He then left the room.
            I collapsed to my knees, covering my face with my hands. In the library I presumed to be empty, I wept, for myself and for the loss of Bane, a man I never truly had.

            The next early afternoon, I decided that going for a swim would clear my mind enough to formulate a plan. Never before have I questioned my father’s intentions, but I knew I had to have Bane. He was the one thing I wanted, aside from more books, that is.
            I wore a skimpy blue bikini, the light color stark against my pale moon-kissed skin. Standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking a large lake, I let my hair out of the tie, and took a flying leap off the cliff.
            For a few moments, there was only the joy of falling, and then my head broke the water. After several seconds my eyes adjusted and I glanced around for predators, as was custom. I accidentally took in a huge gulp of water when I saw an enormous snake swimming toward me. I struggled to reach the surface but couldn’t. I began to drown.
            A strong hand threw the snake out of the water, then the same hand grabbed me gently around the waist and pulled me toward the surface, where I immediately began coughing. I leaned gratefully against the bare chest of whoever it was that saved me until I could breathe again. Pulling away, my eyes widened in surprise when I saw it was Bane holding me so tenderly.
            “Krista,” he said in his deep voice that I loved so much. “I was in the library yesterday and I heard you talking to your father. Is it true? Do you honestly love me?”
            Like yesterday, I was speechless. An idea struck me and I leaned forward, gently pressing my lips against Bane, whose arms tightened around me until they nearly suffocated me, yet I still wanted them tighter.
            “Krista,” he whispered breathlessly. “Krista.” In that moment, I didn’t care that he would soon belong solely to Talia. I didn’t care that I could never have him. I didn’t care that I wasn’t fit to be his mate even if we did get father’s blessing. All I cared about was his breath, hot on my neck when he held me tight, his arms, his hands tracing small circles in the small of my back. I was a being driven purely by emotion, by the sensations this divine creature elicited.
            I don’t know how long we had been embracing when Bane pulled away. “Krista, I can’t do this. I am to be married to Talia in a few weeks. I can’t betray her.”
            “Do you love me?” I asked, my eyes searching his for an answer. He looked away.
            “Yes.”

            After that Bane ran back into the palace. I found him later, training viciously with father’s men, many of whom fell and never got up. I tugged restlessly at my almost-sheer white dress, yearning to kiss him again. I sensed someone behind me and turned, stupidly wishing for it to be Bane, despite the fact that I could see him down in the arena. It was Talia.
            She leaned back against the wall with an aura of confidence and arrogance that I would never have. She smirked at me for a full minute before speaking. “Father tells me you love Bane. Is it true?”
            I could only nod.
            “Well, sister dear, I do so hope that you stay away from him. Bane is my toy, and I do not intend to lose him to children like you.”
            “Talia, let Bane make his own choice. We are both father’s blood, we are both fit to be with him.” Even as I spoke the words I did not believe them, and Talia knew that. She took a step toward me and in my anger and fear I did not move away.
            “No.” The word was filled with such power that I flinched and took an involuntary step back. “You are not fit to have him. He will never be anything more than an animal in need of a leash,” she gnashed her teeth at me, continuing, “If we were to settle this the old-fashioned way, through battle, you would lose and we both know it. Bane is the second most powerful man in the world, and I am the only one who can use him. Father has created a plan that, with Bane’s help, will not fail because of the Batman. We will gain world dominance this time around, and you will become my slave.
            Once again I was not aware of Bane’s watchful presence.

            Days passed without event. I did not see Bane in the library, nor at the lake where we embraced, nor at the training arena. I did not know where to continue looking for him and so I walked through the library stacks, running wanting fingers over the spines of books I’ve read thousands of times before. I stayed in the library in the hopes that Bane will arrive but he never did, and so when the sun set I retreated reluctantly to my quarters.
            On the night of the full moon, I sat at my vanity, wearing a sheer silk chemise and brushing my pale hair. I sighed wistfully and my eyes fluttered shut and when I opened them, I saw Bane standing behind me in the mirror. I jumped and smiled happily, opening my mouth to speak. Bane slid a hand over my mouth, leaning in to whisper in my ear, “Talia has posted guards outside your door. They can hear us. We must be quiet.” I nodded and he removed his hand.
            “Where have you been?” I asked quietly, turning in my seat to face him.
            “Ra’s al Ghul got wind of you and Talia’s little fight and locked me up under the ground. I had to wait until tonight to escape, when the moon was full and the tide lifted me to the top.”
            “If I had known I would have rescued you,” I said, cupping his cheek in my slender hand. He covered it with his own, smiling.
            “I do not need rescuing, but you do,” he said. “Pack your things; tonight, we escape to Gotham. I will kill the Batman, earning your father’s respect, and then I will marry you.” I felt a smile grow until it could grow no more, and with a happy squeal I jumped off the stool and into his arms. Bane swung me around uncharacteristically, finally revealing his happiness in being with me.

            That night I packed my clothes, my journals, my favorite books. I packed all the things I needed, and we escaped into the night.

            Not long after, we arrived safely in Gotham, where Bane’s goons stood waiting for us in the airport. I recognized them immediately, the grey aura of evil which does not lead, but follows. Bane led me over to them, my hand clasped firmly in his, because of protection rather than affection.
            As we approached I could feel the goons sizing me up, their eyes sliding up and down my body appreciatively. Bane must have sensed it as well, for once we reached them he sent them all a glare that would make the toughest man cower, which they did.
            “This is Krista. She is mine; you do not touch her, and you do as she says. Understand?” They nodded quickly, afraid of Bane’s wrath.
            I looked around curiously as we exited the airport. I had never ventured outside the castle walls without Talia or father with me, without having an evil ulterior motive. Everything looked different when your behavior was legal; I wasn’t jumping at every shadow, nor did fear pool low in my belly when I heard a police siren in the distance. I leaned lightly against Bane’s arm, grinning madly at the wonderful sights and smells. He noticed this and ordered his goons to go back to base without us; we would walk.
            “You didn’t have to do that,” I said once they were out of ear shot. Bane let go of my hand to shrug his arm around my shoulders, allowing me to lean even closer. I tucked strands of my white-blonde hair behind my ear, feeling truly good for the first time, not counting when Bane and I kissed.
            “This Batman, who is he?” I asked. I knew Batman himself had been inside the castle many times before, but whenever such a threat loomed, a guard would lock me in my room at father’s orders. I never once laid eyes on him.
            “He is my greatest enemy,” Bane replied.

            Turns out the base, as Bane put it, was a large warehouse with a furnished apartment on the second floor. It was not as large as the palace I grew up in, but instead of that being bad I found it refreshing. He didn’t have a library yet, only a small room with books stacked precariously on the ground. My favorite room was the kitchen—it was medium sized, the walls were bright pink, and the appliances were new.
            “I had it re-painted for you,” Bane had said almost shyly when he showed me the room. I had laughed happily and hugged him.

            Now I stood beside the island in the center of the room, tying a frilly yellow apron around my waist. I twisted my hair up and rubbed my hands together. Bane was out doing research or something on Batman with his goons—Bird, Trogg and Zombie. I was here alone and fully planned on making cookies for Bane.
             
            Bane sat on a rooftop in the middle of Gotham, on a building high enough to be hidden from the sight of everyone. He had told Bird, Trogg and Zombie to go out and get some food, and that he would be staying. He reached down to his side and pulled a book out of his belt—it was Krista’s journal. He hadn’t known how she felt about him until he read it, and he wanted to make sure she still felt the same way. She didn’t know he was reading it.

            Today I went on a mission with Talia. I ordinarily do not go, but Father insisted I tag along, and thus I went. Talia can not read the ancient language the book is written in, but I can. Father would not want me to go otherwise.
            We were almost out when we stumbled upon a body floating in a water bed. A woman was tied and bound beside it. Talia immediately went to her for an explanation, but before the woman could get a word out there was a man in a mask, killing all our men. When it was only the four of us, I sensed confusion. I knew in my heart he would not kill a woman.
            That is how I met Bane.
            Even now, reliving the memory, I am filled with an unfamiliar longing. Who is this Bane? Why am I so attracted to him?
            I must close this entry for now. The sun is slowly falling, and I must sleep. I am sure my dreams will be filled with a certain masked man.

It has been several days since Bane arrived here at the palace. Father seems to favor him, and thus Talia has begun playing him, gaining his trust and love. She would not do such a thing if it meant Father would be displeased.
This is one of the many ways we differ.
I never did care what Father thought. Yes, I admit at one point I did fight Talia for Father’s favor, but I never won, and I know now that I never will. I never could manage myself in a fight, nor can I fire a gun. I can not fight off armed men or do great leaps off a cliff. I do not have her arrogance or her charisma. I know Father only allows me to do as I please because I am his daughter, and he only has two.
But this time, I cannot lose to her. Bane is the one person I find I care for, in an odd way. Talia claims he is like an animal and a child, in more ways than one. I do not understand how she can possibly believe that, but she does.
We have been spending time together in the library, Bane and I. We speak of many different things—world affairs, books, politics, religion, art, anything at all that we can think of. Anything but the things I so dearly wish to speak of. My heart cries for him now, alone in my room. Surely I am not Talia, but am I really this undesirable? I know I am not abundantly endowed with curves, but I do not resemble a boy, either. More times than I can recall I have caught a guard sneaking glances at me, whispering about me to his friends. Normally this bothers me, but now it is the only proof I have left that I am attractive to the opposite sex. Will Bane ever truly see me?


I feel foolish. Father has just informed me that Bane will be married to Talia soon, as she is the perfect mate for him. Both are ambitious, smart, attractive…even I can see the logic, the utter reason that caused Father to come to this decision. In truth, it took me hours to stop pacing and crying enough to write. Even now, I am not sure I want to continue writing this down.
After Father told me, I fell to my knees and wept. I am only grateful for the fact that Bane did not witness such an atrocious event. I am filled with shame now, thinking that perhaps he did. Maybe he heard my words. Maybe he knows now of my feelings. Have I lost the best friend I’ve ever had?


Bane heard me. He rescued me in the lake from a snake a few days ago, and he then pulled me into his arms and did not let go. Perhaps it was I who did not let go.


Tonight we are leaving. Bane says that we will go to Gotham and after he kills the Batman, he will have earned Father’s respect, and he will allow us to be wed. Oh, goddess, I am filled with such joy! Finally, I have managed to get the one thing in the world I wanted. Father always has given me what I want, although most of the time that is books and papers and pens and things. For the first time, I got what I wanted because of me, and not because of Father. I beat Talia. I beat Talia. I beat Talia.

The final entry was dated for that day, and read:

We are living in an apartment above a warehouse. It is poorly furnished and the heating/cooling system is off, but I couldn’t be happier. I am away from the luxury and grandeur of my father’s home. I do not have to worry about Talia anymore. I am with the man I love.
Life couldn’t be better.

Bane closed the journal and smiled. He knew better than anyone how Krista felt, but he did not know of her devotion until he read her journal. In that moment, alone on an empty rooftop, he knew. Krista was his, and no one else’s. He found his light.


The kitchen was a mess. I stood in front of the oven, leaning back against the small island in the center, and watched the timer on the stovetop. The cookies would be done in seven minutes…in six and a half minutes…in…
Someone grabbed my shoulder from behind. I jumped and a hand covered my mouth before I could let loose a scream. Turning, I saw it was Bane, and smiled against his hand. He let it drop.
“You scared me, mister,” I said, playfully poking his chest. He pulled his mask off, allowing me to see his grin.
“You made quite a mess in here, my love.” I felt butterflies in my stomach when he called me that. The sensation was not unpleasant.
“I’m making you cookies,” I replied. His smile grew and he pulled me into his arms. It felt like I had only just snuggled in when the timer beeped. I jumped, but Bane only sighed. I pulled away and grabbed the oven mitts.
“Ooh, they’re done!” I said, opening the door and pulling the tray out. The chocolate chip cookies looked perfect. I smiled happily and set it on the island, slipping the mitts off. “You can try one when they cool down,” I said, but Bane already had a mouthful of cookie. His eyes brightened and he gave me a thumbs up.
Once over half the cookies were safely in Bane’s stomach, we settled down on our bed to read, although read was not what we ended up doing. I was more than aware that we had not had sex yet, and all I wanted was the sensation of his hands on me. His touch drove me crazy, and yet I wanted more.
I turned to Bane.
“Bane…I…”
“Yes, Krista, my love?” those words sent me off the edge. My shyness gone, I crawled over the large bed to him and pressed my lips against his. At first the kiss was gentle, but it quickly grew harder and deeper. I lifted my hand to his shoulder and his hands cupped the side of my face. He traced his thumb gently over my cheekbone. His fingers trailed cold fire.
I broke the kiss for air, whispering his name. That was the end of his self-control; he grabbed me and rolled so that he was on top of me, one knee wedged between my legs. His hands were on either side of my head. For a moment, we just stared at each other, Bane’s eyes asking a question and mine screaming the answer.
He leaned down, filling my body with the burning I would soon come to associate with him. Just Bane. Always Bane.

That night, I lay on Bane’s chest after our passionate lovemaking. He ran his fingers through my long hair, staring at the ceiling. I turned my head just enough to look at him. I couldn’t keep a warm smile from stretching across my face. He quickly returned the gesture.
“That was a very good way to burn off those cookies,” I said, making a poor attempt at a joke. He laughed nonetheless.

The next few weeks were filled with an odd sort of rhythm. Bane and his goons would leave each day, come home to a meal I spent all day cooking, and then we would make love in bed. He would be gone when I wake up. I never truly minded, no. Bane had plans of his own, and I was not included in those plans. I just wished we could spend more time together.

Bane stood at the foot of the bed, watching Krista sleep. He knew they hadn’t been spending much time together recently, and for that he was sorry, but he needed to kill the Batman. He had to. It was his only purpose, the only way to gain Ra’s al Ghul’s favor. He walked quietly over to the nightstand on Krista’s side of the bed, picking up the worn leather journal, and flipping to yesterday’s date.
I know I’m being selfish. Bane has work to do, and I know better than anyone just how much the death of Batman will mean to him. In these circumstances, I am reminded of Talia’s love affair with Batman, their illegitimate child, and the resulting miscarriage. Batman is the only man she ever loved. Am I truly going to stand by while Bane kills that very man?
I know in my heart that despite any moral objections I may have, I would never interfere. I would not be capable of doing anything anyway—one look from those brown eyes of his, and I am his to command. Most of the time I love the feelings of being completely at his mercy. It gives me a perverse thrill. But this time, I know that that effect would be my undoing in that situation.
Although I should be, I am not sorry.
No man can defeat Bane, and certainly not I.
If only he was around more…these feelings for him only grow each day, and I fear the pain also grows every day he is not here. I survive, though, with the knowledge that each day brings him that much closer to slaying the Batman, and closer to us being able to return to the palace and marry. With him as my husband and protector, Talia would not dare raise a hand against me. Were she to try, I fear Bane may unleash his rage. Perhaps this is only wishful thinking, though, that he would grow that angry at me being hit. Certainly, though, none of the guards would try anything anymore. The mere thought of Bane would have them shaking.
I just wish Bane was here the last time…eight years ago. No. I mustn’t think about that. It’s a thing of the past. I refuse to relive it. Despite that, I have a sickening feeling in my gut. History always repeats itself.

The entry left Bane confused. What happened? Was Krista really that torn up at his absence? He decided to take a day off. Nothing, not even the Batman, was more important than Krista.

The movie was terrible. I lay leaning against Bane’s chest, his arm around my shoulders. I snuggled closer and risked a glance upward. He was smiling down at me.
Bane thought back on what Krista had written—about what his touch does to her. His eyes. Is it true? He figured an experiment wouldn’t hurt and the movie wasn’t very good entertainment anyway. Maybe he could even find out what had happened eight years ago, although he couldn’t yet think of a way to pry it out of her without Krista finding out about him reading her journal.
He lifted his arm away from her shoulders and cupped her chin gently, tilting it up so that their eyes met. “Krista,” he said smoothly, hoping his voice would have the same effect. Her mouth moved but no sound came out and if her expression was any indication, it did indeed.
“Yes?” she finally got out. He smiled and used the hand not clutching her chin to run his index finger over her lower lip. She trembled visibly.
“I’m quite hungry…” he trailed off, wondering how she would interpret the comment. Sex or food?
“I could make you a sandwich,” she offered. Bane kept himself from sighing in frustration.
“I don’t need food,” he replied. Krista’s eyes darkened then. “We’re all alone, on this comfy couch…anything at all could happen.” She didn’t move. It occurred to Bane that maybe she couldn’t move. Keeping in mind how soft and delicate she was, he shifted them around so that she straddled his lap. Now both of them were hungry.
They used the rest of the afternoon to worship each other.

Today while Bane and the rest of the guys were out, I ventured to a bookstore downtown. I stood in a randomly chosen section, holding a randomly chosen book. Spice Up Your Sex Life Today! The title screamed. The book was blood-red, ironic considering Bane’s…er, hobby. I sighed, tucking strands of hair behind my ear. Lately, Bane and I had been making love even more than usual. Not that I minded, really. I just wished we could talk like we used to sometimes. Now, when he isn’t seducing me, he’s ranting about Batman. Honestly, I’ve grown quite tired of his rage against that man. He never really did anything wrong.
The bell on the door made a soft ding as it opened. From my vantage point I couldn’t see who it was, but I heard an all-too-familiar voice ask the cashier something that I couldn’t quite make out. Talia.
I fished in the pocket of my snug jeans for the cell phone Bane gave me in case of an emergency. I flipped it open and dialed his number, almost having a heart attack listening to it ring. Finally, he answered. “Hello? Krista? Is everything okay?”
“I’m at a bookstore downtown,” I whispered. “Talia is here.” Silence. I wasn’t sure he heard me until he answered.
“What’s the name of the bookstore?” I told him. “I’m on my way.” I closed it and placed it back into my pocket.
I crept closer to listen to Talia’s conversation with the cashier.
“She’s shorter than me, slender, with long and straight white-blonde hair. She was either alone or with a big guy.”
“Oh, yes. I remember a girl with hair like that! Pretty little thing, isn’t she.”
“Yes, she is.” Talia replied impatiently, forcing politeness. “Have you seen her?”
“Oh, yes. She came in just a few minutes ago.”
“Has she left?”
“Why, no, I don’t believe so.” Talia thanked her and spun around to peer suspiciously at the shelves of books. Since we were in Gotham, the bookstore was huge. There would have to be somewhere for me to hide. I ducked out of sight as she stalked forward.
I knew the first place she would check would be the restrooms, so I thought of the place I wouldn’t ever be and headed there. The sex aisle.
I didn’t know if it was fortunate or unfortunate that that particular aisle was located near the doors. I would easily see Bane come in, and he would see me rather quickly. I could only pray to my goddess that he would get here quickly.
“Ah, there you are,” said a voice from behind me. I turned slowly and saw Talia pointing a gun at me. “Father and I have been looking for you and your dog. Where is he hiding, anyway? He isn’t one to trust a woman to be alone. Especially not with so many…perverts around.” I winced. She knew of my past and knew the wound was still rather fresh.
“How did you find me?”
“You and Bane are so predictable. I knew you would come to Gotham and I knew you would come to the biggest bookstore in town and I knew you would hide in this aisle when I came in. You see, Krista, you are playing a dangerous game, but you don’t even know the rules. You lose.” With that she shot a tranquilizer dart at me. It hit me in the neck and after that, I knew only black.

Bane was too late. He knew that even before he got into the bookstore. He was busy, always too busy with his hatred for Batman to protect the woman he loved. And now he could lose her.
Bane knew the only hint he could possibly have would lie in Krista’s journal, in the entries written before she met him. Before he read those, though, he flipped to the most recent entry.

We are making love constantly. When we are together, I am always enveloped in a warm bubble of happiness. Even I am not so dense as to believe that this can really last forever.
I am haunted by the things of my past.
Eight years ago, when I was merely a girl of eleven, I was innocent. Naïve. I would take my favorite books and read them all over the palace, believing myself to be safe with the guards. Talia was thirteen then and already growing curves, so they were watching her and not me. I never once believed someone would choose me instead, but they did.
One night I forgot to lock the door to my room, and I didn’t realize I was not alone until it was too late. Three of my father’s men grabbed me and forced me to the bed, each of them taking advantage of me, one at a time. I will never forget the fear, and the pain, but what I remember most of all is the fact that no one heard my screams, that no one came to rescue me. I thought my father was a hero then, and at first I was completely convinced he would save me, just like in the movies I so liked to watch.
He never came.
After that they left me sprawled face-down across the floor. Somehow, I managed to pull myself up and make it to Father’s room. Needless to say, the guards were executed immediately. Sometimes I wonder if that is merely because he didn’t want the same thing to happen to his precious Talia.
In the next few years, Talia grew into a woman, and began having sex with the strongest and most handsome of the guards. She would always kill them afterwards.
Though I easily could have done the same thing, I did not. I did not feel attraction to the guards, to prisoners, to anyone. Talia slept with almost all the handsome men, not counting Father, and she never got caught. I didn’t feel attraction once in my life until I met Bane, and it was such a powerful emotion that I almost fell over. I feel like he rescued me.
Despite what most people may think, I don’t see Bane as evil. I don’t see him as ‘the bad guy.’ Bane never once asked me to help him with his nefarious plots, nor has he asked me to do anything outside of my comfort zone. He is an intelligent, attractive man, and I can honestly say the only time I’ve ever felt truly safe is when I am with him.
He brought me to life.

Bane has never felt like such an ass in his entire life. He’s never really felt much of anything, truthfully. He is driven by rage and lust, by his purpose to kill Batman. Never before has he felt love for another human being, until he met Krista.
She changed his life.
With the gift of Krista came laughter, love, passion and pleasure. She showed him there’s a whole other side to life, a side vastly different from the hate he has known so well. Krista was so beautiful, so pure, that he couldn’t dream of involving her in any of his ‘nefarious plots’, as she put it. If he was with Talia, he would definitely involve her, but only because she’s tainted.
Tainted.
What importance does that word have? He thought back, back to a memory.
It was the first week he was at Ra’s al Ghul’s spacious home. He and the immortal were talking as they played chess. Ra’s took Bane’s knight and Bane said, “Tell me about Krista. She never seems to be around.”
“That is because she is tainted, Bane. You must stay away from her.” This was before he fell, but when he had begun to feel the stirring attraction in his stomach. The word ‘tainted’ turned the pleasant feelings into cold dread.
“Tainted, Ra’s?”
“She has done many things in her past. She lost her innocence at an early age.” How had she lost her innocence? Did she kill someone? Bane killed his first man at the tender age of six, in prison. He remembered that and smiled to himself, being careful to hide the reaction from the demon.
“Tell me, Ra’s. I have seen many paintings and statues in this palace and all resemble you. Are you truly an immortal? Is that more than a rumor?”
It was then that Ra’s al Ghul told Bane of the Lazarus Pits.

That was it! They took her to a Lazarus Pit! Bane almost allowed himself a smile but restrained himself. He would not smile until Krista was safe in his arms.
Then he stopped dead in his tracks, an analogy that may very well be true by the time this ordeal is over.
Where are the Lazarus Pits? Which one is Krista at?
Bane knew he wouldn’t be able to find them all in time. There were thousands across the globes, and only two men knew the locations of all.
Ra’s al Ghul…and Batman.

During the next week and a half, Bane spent every waking minute searching for the Batman. Finally, his work paid off.
He perched on a roof next to the hideout of the Joker. If anyone knew where it was, it was Batman, and judging from the commotion inside, Batman was already here.
He took a flying leap off the building, the Venom lending him superhuman strength. Inside the darkened building, he saw the masked man himself fighting with the Joker. The clown’s female sidekick and her hyenas tried to help but when she was struck accidentally by the Joker, the fight was seemingly over. The clown kneeled down beside her, apologizing profusely. Batman took that opportunity to knock him unconscious. Bane would have killed him, but he already knew Batman didn’t kill if he could help it. Just one more reason Bane despised the Batman.
When all the goons were unconscious, Bane stepped out of the shadows, his mask concealing his face.
“Batman,” he said.
“Bane,” the vigilante replied in greeting. “Have you come here to challenge me once more? I heard you were lurking around town. I never figured you would come to me, though.”
“I didn’t come for a fight.” True to form, Batman was silent. “I need your help.”

“You want to know where the Lazarus Pits are?” Bane nodded. “Get real.”
“Come on. Ra’s al Ghul wouldn’t take Krista unless there was a reason, and that’s to drag me out of the woodwork. He thinks I kidnapped her, or something, and I need your help to get her back.” More silence. Bane knew then that Batman was not going to be very good company if they did team up.


During the next few weeks, Bane managed to convince Batman to help him rescue Krista. They set off in a private jet to the desert. Batman insisted they check the palace first. Bane knew he shouldn’t argue—Batman had been fighting Ra’s al Ghul longer than he had, but he didn’t want to waste time checking an empty castle.
As they neared the desert, he would soon find out that the palace was far from empty.


They locked me in my old bedroom. I should have expected this, really, but I couldn’t help but think that being with Bane would make me invincible. I had thought that the mere thought of Bane angry would ward off anyone who wanted to hurt me, but I was wrong.
I also thought Talia would never want to hurt me.
I was wrong about that as well.
She threw me onto the bed where I lay helpless, bound and tied. She smirked and snapped her fingers. Immediately almost a dozen guards rushed in. “Well, Krista, you’ve managed to avoid my wrath thus far, but I have to admit. I always did hate you. Father always thought you were smarter than me, from all that damn reading. You know more languages than I do, both dead and alive, and you can draw a prettier picture and write a better poem than I. Unfortunately for you, my dear, is that you never could hold a grudge quite like me.” She knelt down beside me, leaning in to whisper, “I remember what the guards did to you all those years ago. I remember how messed up you were, how you never once looked a man in hopes of romance. I remember, and now, you’re going to remember it as well.” She snapped her fingers again.
“All of you, line up!” They did as she commanded immediately. “Do as you wish with Krista, and I really mean as you wish. I know she isn’t as beautiful as I am, but she is indeed female, and you may do anything you desire. Anything,” she repeated to get the point across. “When you are finished, jump out that window there.” She didn’t have to gesture; they could all see the large fourth-story window across the room. With that, she left the room, tossing a smirk over her shoulder for me. I heard the lock click and moved my gaze slowly towards the guards. The first one in line stepped forward, a malicious grin on his ugly face.
“Well, well, well. Looks like we have the immortal’s daughter here to play with, boys. What shall we do first?” He untied me and tore out the gag. I thought he was going to set me free for a single naïve moment, but instead he pushed me to the middle of the bed, making sure I was on my back and my wrists were securely tied above my head. If it was Bane instead of him, I would enjoy this, but instead of the desire I feel for Bane, this man only inspired fear. Dread. Rage. I held on to the rage, knowing it would give me strength.
That night, without my only protector to save me, I was once again raped. This time, however, it was over and over, by more than twelve men, each of whom jumped out the window once they were satisfied.
My heart cried out for Bane.

Bane was worried. He thought he could sense Krista’s fear despite their distance. His anxiety must have shown on his face because Batman said, “Don’t worry. Ra’s al Ghul would never let anything happen to his daughters.”
Bane could only wish that was true.

There was only one left. I could tell from his behavior and his eyes that he was crazy. He paced, back and forth, while I lay helpless on the bed. I struggled against my bonds, wishing desperately that this was a mere dream. I knew in my heart that this would be just like last time. There wouldn’t be anyone coming to save me. Bane wasn’t here and I didn’t have the strength to break free and get away. The guard knew that, and I knew that, and Talia knew that. Knowing, however, did not stop me from closing my eyes and wishing.
Finally the guard stopped pacing and loomed over me. He tore off the mask that covered his nose and mouth, giving me a good view of his sinister smirk. His hand descended upon me and I threw my head back, squeezing my eyes shut once again.
“BANE!”

Batman was right. Ra’s al Ghul did take Krista back to their palace. There were at least twice as many guards posted around the front, and even more within the castle walls. Batman lowered the small plane down half a mile away from it. Ra’s would not pick up the plane on his scanners, but nonetheless they had to sneak in on foot to go undetected.
Krista dominated his mind during the entire walk.
Was she alright? Did they hurt her? Bane tried to console himself with the thought that the guards would rather die than suffer the wrath of Ra’s al Ghul, which would surely come if they harmed his daughters, but he still thought back on the event eight years ago. They hadn’t managed to control themselves then; who said they would now?
Bane could only run faster.


I thought they would leave me alone in my room when all the guards were dead, but once again I was wrong. Talia came in immediately, almost as if she had been watching the whole ordeal. Knowing her, she most likely had. She stood in the doorway for a moment, observing me thoughtfully. Then she stepped over in her heels and untied my hands.
“Father has a special plan for you, Krista.” My heart sank as I listened to her cruel, high laugh.

It took me a minute to figure out the plan. Father and Talia ordered guards to chain me up and dangle me over a huge hole in the ground, in which green acid bubbled. The guards stepped back when they had finished. At first I didn’t know what the goo was—I thought it was merely acid. It was becoming habit for me to be wrong when it came to Talia and father.
“Do you like the smell of this, Krista?” I couldn’t tell where father’s voice was coming from until he emerged from the shadows, grinning mercilessly. “Attached to the chains above you is a bomb, a rather large bomb in fact. I am going to drop you along with it into the pit.”
“Pit?” I echoed blankly. He nodded. “This is a Lazarus Pit!” Once I knew that, his plan was easy to figure out.
All the Lazarus Pits are connected through underground tunnels. If he were to drop a large bomb into just one, it would cause all the pits around the world to erupt simultaneously, killing all the healthy and young people in the world. The sick and elderly won’t last long after that, without someone to care for them.
“Is this another world domination plot, father?”
“Ah, you figured it out. That was faster than I had expected. Perhaps those books were good for something, eh?” He laughed, and walked away.


They were in. Batman and Bane snuck into the palace, going unnoticed by the guards. They stepped into the courtyard and froze.
Krista was hanging over a Lazarus Pit.
Ra’s al Ghul was laughing.
His first instinct was to kill Ra’s for doing this to his love, but Batman had other plans. The so-called detective threw a batarang into the guns of guards trying to shoot them, stopping the onslaught of bullets.
“You get Krista! I’ll take on Ra’s!” Batman shouted at Bane, who nodded and sprinted to the huge crane holding Krista.


Bane was here. I felt a strange mixture of relief and dread when I heard the gunshots and looked up to see Bane fighting off five guards. My eyes widened when I saw who was with him. Batman. Bane teamed up with Batman?! I didn’t have time to dwell on that thought, though. Bane ran up to me and began pulling me up.
“Bane, no, you can’t! If you unchain me, the bomb will explode!” his hands grew slack when he noticed the explosives, and I fell back down to where I originally was.

The next events happened very fast. I am not experienced in fights. I don’t know what one truly looks like, nor have I ever been in one where I had a fair chance of winning. I only know what I saw.
After Bane let go of the chain, I looked over to Batman and saw him fighting father with a sword. Father has been alive for centuries; he has fought off dozens of men with a single sword. He has slain more men than I have had days on this earth. And yet, Batman appeared to be winning. He made Father back up so much that he stood on the very edge of the Lazarus Pit.
I watched as Father fell.
He did not come back up.
Talia began screaming when she witnessed this, and fell to her knees. All the guards that were present jumped in after him.
Batman pulled me up and disabled the bomb quickly. I looked to see it had one second left on the timer. When I was unchained I stood, but was so weak I nearly collapsed. Bane caught me on the way down.


Weeks passed after that. Talia left the palace in search of something more. Batman returned to Gotham, and Bane and I remained in the palace. We had the castle walls torn down and began building a city around the palace.
I never thought it would be possible, but Bane’s touch managed to erase the painful memories from my mind. They still linger, on the very edges, but they are not in the front of my mind. If I hadn’t known before, I know now. I am in love.
That night, I wrote in my journal for the final time.
Life has returned to normal, or at least something resembling normalcy. Father has died, and though I am ashamed to admit it, I am glad. He has had centuries to live, and his time was soon. I never thought it would be this soon, though.
Despite the overwhelming sense of oddity, there is something in the air that wasn’t there before. Is it magic? Perhaps I will never know.
Bane and I have decided to make good use of Father’s money and the vast expanse of empty desert. We are going to build a city, and we shall name it Ra’s al Ghul, after him. We will offer a home to criminals looking to change their ways, to the homeless, to the weak, to the poor. We will provide them with necessities until they are able to support themselves. This is a new dream, a dream opposing that which Father desired. I am glad.
I finally realized that life is not about controlling people. It is about helping people, supporting people. All we have on this planet is each other, and if we tear them all to bits and pieces, what good will it do? I admit I do see the logic in some killing, when the person you are taking the life of is dangerous and cannot be allowed to live, but the lives of innocents are precious and must be protected, as will the lives of the evil wishing to be better.
As I write, Bane is sitting on my left. He leans on his elbow and observes me, trailing a lone finger down my cheekbone. I tremble at his touch, as I always do. He smiles, as if he knows what it does to me, and perhaps he does.
I know what I am feeling now.
It is not magic.
It is happiness.

I am complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment